Relationship with the United Nations
The Foundation is a non profit entity incorporated under New York State law. It is authorized by the UN Global Compact Office to fundraise on its behalf. Its relationship with the United Nations is set out in a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Foundation and the UN. All fundraising efforts are conducted in a manner that respects the dignity, international character and status of the United Nations
A summary of the main provisions of the MOU follows:
The Foundation’s main functions are:
- fundraising to support the work of the Global Compact Office and other activities in support of the Global Compact;
- providing financial support to the Global Compact Office and other activities in support of the Global Compact; and
- promotion and advocacy of the Global Compact and its principles.
The primary beneficiary of the Foundation’s funds is the Global Compact Office.
The MOU provides that the Global Compact Office and the Foundation work together in the following ways:
- They plan and promote fundraising to be carried out by the Foundation;
- The Global Compact Office keeps the Foundation informed of its ongoing and planned activities;
- The Global Compact Office invites representatives of the Foundation to relevant Global Compact meetings; and
- The Global Compact Office provides appropriate recognition and acknowledgement to the Foundation.
The MOU gives the Global Compact Office the right, in consultation with the Foundation, to monitor and evaluate the progress and implementation of the activities and programmes of the Foundation. The MOU also addresses matters such as the circumstances under which the Foundation may use the Global Compact’s name and logos.
Finally, in the event that the Foundation is deemed to be acting outside of the parameters of the MOU, the Global Compact Office can terminate the agreement, including all the Foundation’s rights to use the Global Compact’s name and logos.